Warm Quinoa Salad
We've been making a real effort to eat healthier in my family, which is why you may have noticed a slow down in my baking recipes. Fear not, I'm experimenting with some healthy sweets and once I get the recipes down pat I'll be sure to share them here with you!
Today though, it's quinoa. Quinoa seems to be one of those ingredients everyone just knows is good for them but we don't use nearly enough. It is a seed that is packed with protein, calcium, and other vitamins. Just all sorts of good stuff. So this is my go to quinoa recipe, enjoy!
WARM QUINOA SALAD
1 cup of Quinoa
2 cups Vegetable Stock (to adjust the quantity just make sure you have twice as much liquid as you do quinoa)
Handful of Garlic
1 stem of Broccoli
6 small Tomatoes (use less if you living in a country that can grow big tomatoes, or use cherry tomatoes if you have them)
1 Spring Onion
1 tbsp Capers
1 tbsp Olives
1. Rinse the quinoa, like rice you need to wash it till the water runs clear.
2. Add you quinoa and veg stock in a pan and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. Add your broccoli florets and leave for another 5-10 minutes. You'll know it's cooked when all the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Chop up the squash anyway you like and dice your garlic. In another pan, heat up some oil and fry up your squash and garlic until the squash is soft and fragrant. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Quarter the tomatoes and finely chop the spring onion, capers, and olives. Mix it in a bowl with the zest of one lemon and the juice of half a lemon.
5. Mix the cooked quinoa and broccoli into the bowl. Top with squash and serve warm.
Eating healthy doesn't mean you have to compromise on taste. Give this a go and let me know what you think! And take pictures and tag me on instagram or twitter so I can see them! @jackkayephoto #TheSundayProject. x