I've always been in love with the idea of baking my own bread. Probably because I've always been in love with bread. This week I made some english muffins for breakfast and they were delicious. The best part, while you bake the whole house smells like bread! Mmmm bread.
English Muffins (makes 6)
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
1 1/4 tsp instant yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup milk
1. Combine sugar and water then add the yeast and leave to activate. About 10 mins.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter.
3. Add the yeast and milk to you dry ingredients and knead until the dough becomes elastic.
4. Set aside your dough (covered with some plastic wrap) for 60-90 mins or until it doubles in size.
5. On a floured surface, roll out your dough into a log and cut into 6 equal parts. Roll those 6 pieces into round, english muffin-like shapes.
6. Again, covered in plastic wrap, set aside for another hour to rise.
7. In a frying pan, fry the dough on each side for about 2-3 mins or until it gets that toasted brown look.
8. Then, transfer to the oven and bake for 10-12 mins at 170C.
Cut the muffin open with a fork. Stick a fork in the side and go all the way around.
As always, try this out for yourself, take a photo and tag me @jackkayephoto #thesundayproject!