Blueberry Bran Muffins
My mom loves blueberries, so for Mother's Day I baked her some blueberry bran muffins. I know what you're thinking, ugh bran. But I swear its good, and good for you! It gets its sweetness from the blueberries which you can substitute for what you have on hand or for something even sweeter. I got this recipe from Smitten Kitchen. And I'll definitely be making some more!
They were so easy to make and so very delicious fresh out of the oven but kept really well refrigerated for up to a week.
Recipe below, as usual changed it up to suit what I had on hand.
1 1/3 cups buttermilk (made this with milk+vinegar)
1 large egg
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
Blueberries (or fruit of your choice)
1. Heat oven to 218C (gas mark 7) and coat a 12-cup muffin tin with butter.
2. Whisk buttermilk, egg, oil, brown sugar and vanilla.
3. Whisk bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
4. Stir wet mixture into dry until just combined.
5. Spoon two 2 tablespoons of batter into each prepared muffin cup. Add fruit on top of that, then spoon in remaining batter.
6. Bake muffins for a total of 16 minutes and cool on a wire rack.